Breast Cancer Detection
Breast cancer detection is now part of my life. Is it part of yours?
The Day My World Changed
So there I was, going about my busy daily routine, when one day I got a phone call that would change the direction of my life. One of my best friends, Jo, asked me to come over, as she had some news for me. Once seated, I felt the world stop when she said "Suzie, I have got breast cancer".
Naturally there was shock, disbelief, tears and fear. This was followed by months of Doctors' visits, appointments, blood tests, scans and x-rays. As a friend, all I could do was support where I could. A double mastectomy was performed, and then along came the chemotherapy.
Jo lost her hair, but looked great in her wig and headscarves. Her gums were sore and red, and generally her skin was sensitive to touch. Her body ached and she had tenderness in specific areas, for a long time after the chemo.
I had the privileged position as a friend being involved on the sidelines, to be part of the journey. I saw how traumatic and energy draining the ordeal was for Jo and her family. This was to go on for many months, with her energy only returning a couple of years later.
Message Of Breast Cancer Detection Not Received
Over this time, I talked to other friends and it became obvious that none of us did regular breast examination for ourselves. It never occurred to us to make self breast exam part of our life. So why didn't we? Why weren't we? Why had we not realised the importance of breast cancer detection and breast examination? Did it not make sense that the earlier you found a breast lump, or noticed nipple discharge, or breast swelling, the better?
This isn't to say that early detection solves everything, for it doesn't. However, I would think that it would increase the options available and give more time to research treatment that could be taken.
If there was a message out in society encouraging us to be proactive, we were not receiving it. On further discussion over a coffee or two, we ladies realised we didn't know how to do a breast examination, let alone when to do it. I have since come to realise, that it should be part of every women's health routine.
I Am The Same As Others - I Am Guilty
Breast cancer detection, was not high up on my list of things to think about. I'm going to be quite honest in saying that not many years ago, I was like most other women I had came across. I was not up to date with women's health issues, and really didn't understand why I needed to be.
I was guilty of giving little thought to my own breast health. I didn't know the warning signs of cancer. I didn't have an annual clinical breast examination, nor did I do regular self breast exam at home (also called BSE). I was far too busy doing, what busy women do, to be thinking about thoughts like that!
Breast Cancer did not come up much in conversation with friends. Life was full for everyone. My friends' had children of all ages needing to be cared for. There were the usual school runs, sports, homes to organise, family commitments, husbands to support, as well as work schedules to juggle around. A regular day in a regular life, with little time for women to focus on themselves or their health. Sound familiar?
Turn Over A New Leaf
Early breast cancer detection is vital for women to help themselves. I aim to inform you about the causes of breast cancer, risk factors, the how and when to do self breast exam, the types of breast disease, diet and fitness, and many other interesting topics , while finding proactive ways to reduce your chances by knowing the signs of breast cancer. Men are also included!
I want to encourage you in your quest to better understand your breast health, as I have. By educating yourself, you are better able to support your family and friends with breast cancer, because it is not a matter of if; it is a matter of when. So are you ready? Let's go!
- The Not So Useless Facts About Breast Cancer
- The not so useless facts about breast cancer being one of our womens health issues. Learn the history behind the breast cancer ribbon, genetics or about the breast cancer stages with video clips.
- Symptoms Of Breast Cancer Are Many. What They Are?
- Symptoms of breast cancer need to be understood. Breast lumps, nipple discharge, swollen lymph nodes, inflammation, the list goes on.
- Different Types Of Breast Cancer
- Different types of breast cancer, such as pagets disease and inflammatory breast cancer, can present many various confusing signs. Breast cancer causes and symptoms are different for all women.
- Breast Exam Learn To Do Breast Self Exam
- Breast exam - the how, when and why of BSE. Ladies it's time to empower yourself and learn how to be proactive with your breast health. Look listen and learn.
- She Used Thermal Imaging Cameras For My Breast's
- I knew breast thermography used thermal imaging cameras for computerized thermal imaging so I decided to front up to the thermography machines and experience first hand what happens. A few days l was told there was concern over my right breast.
- My Ultrasound Of Breast Tissue
- My ultrasound of breast tissue involved a pain free medical exam, by something that looks like a computer with a video screen, on a cart with wheels. Warmed gel was placed on my breasts and a device was moved over my breasts. What was the result?
- Wise Guys Check Their Breasts
- Wise guys with laid back chuckles, insisting "I can't get breast cancer cos I'm a man". Sound familiar? Its time to wisen up guys.
- Health Diet Fitness Levels Can Help Breast Cancer
- Health diet fitness, along with mental and emotional strength can assist you to be protected against symptoms of breast cancer. Pilate moves, tea bagging, chocolate models of yumminess with antioxidants.
- Ebook Shop Assisting Women Everywhere
- Ebook shop to assist you! Looking for extra information and want to know more about womens health issues? C$heck out my options I have to help you learn more and empower yourself. Woohoo!
- Benefits Of Spirulina, A Non Scientist's Dance Move
- Benefits of spirulina nutrition has left me suitably impressed. When I first heard about Spirulina, I thought it might be some cool new type of dance move for me to learn - the Spirulina Spin or Salsa Spirulina Style!
- Breast Cancer Products Educational Healthy Options
- Breast cancer products galore. Looking for a breast cancer awareness gift or appropriate breast cancer Christmas gift, pink ribbon for breast cancer, pink rubber breast cancer bracelet? Let me help!
- Womens Health And Nutrition Reviews Ideas From Me
- Womens health and nutrition, reviews and ideas from me for proactive health, What do I suggest, use or recommend? Take it from me, I would eat this if I could, it's so yummy!
- Story Starters Tell Us About Your Breast Cancer
- Story starters written by women and men sharing their journey and experiences with breast disease about themselves or others in their lives.
- Breast Cancer Detection Blog
- Breast Cancer Detection Blog keeps you up-to-date with breast cancer and breast related information at www.early-detection-for-breast-cancer.com. Subscribe here.
- Current Health News On Breast Cancer And Awareness
- Whats the latest current health news on breast cancer and other breast related issues? Find great health news articles and information about breasts.
- Breast Cancer Screening, Mammogram and Thermography
- Breast cancer screening - what's the latest? Up to date info on mammogram images, breast thermography and other options to help diagnose breast cancer?
- Treatments For Breast Cancer, The Up To Date News
- Treatments for breast cancer - what's the latest? Up to date info on breast cancer chemotherapy, alternative breast cancer treatment, breast cancer radiation and holistic cancer treatment.
- My Business Links Services For Women
- Business links services and resources for sharing and empowering women's breast health and happiness in life.
- About Me And My Passion For Breast Cancer Detection
- Ever gone on a website and wondered "who wrote this, where is the about me page, what is their name, where do they live and why has she chosen to write about breast cancer detection?"
- Contact Me
- Please feel welcome to contact me. I find it is always interesting and enjoyable to hear from others.
- Contribute to Breast Cancer Detection
- Would you like to share your knowledge about breast cancer detection? Great, find out how you can submit your story or tip here.